Collaborative on Health and the Environment Webinar, 20 March 2019
Dr. Marianthi-Anna Kioumourtzoglou, Assistant Professor in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, describes the study Association of Exposure to Diethylstilbestrol During Pregnancy With Multigenerational Neurodevelopmental Deficits design, statistical analyses, and findings.
DES DIETHYLSTILBESTROL RESOURCES
#IWD #BalanceForBetter #PledgeForParity #PressForProgress
This interactive, slideshow Doodle is told by and made by women. In it, we showcase inspirational quotes across various languages by thirteen international female trailblazers—both past and present. Connecting to the larger theme of “women empowering women,” the quotes were also designed by a talented group of female guest artists from around the globe.
International Women’s Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
- Learn more about the women who made today’s Doodle possible here.
- Learn how you can put gender on your agenda for International Women’s Day and beyond here, alternatively check twitter.
- Our posts tagged Women’s Day.
The shock and anxiety of a cancer diagnosis can be followed by a second jolt: the astronomical price of cancer drugs
Presented by Arjun Rajagopalan,
uploaded on SlideShare. Watch it full screen.
The mechanism by which a drug’s market price is fixed is opaque and mostly arbitrary. Medical research, particularly new drug discovery, is a very expensive endeavour; the drug industry uses this argument to price new drugs at levels that are breathtakingly high. With the backing of currently enforced patent protection laws, drug companies can insulate themselves against market forces that are operational in most other consumer markets where competition assures reasonable prices. The Indian drug industry which used to pride itself on its ability to reverse engineer and deliver generics substitutes at low prices, can no longer indulge in this tactic.
Cancer treatment is a large area of interest for drug research. Unlike other noncommunicable diseases like hypertension, diabetes and the like, patients with a diagnosis of cancer are usually keen to seek the best available treatments. Newer generations of cancer drugs are priced at astounding figures. Treatment costs can exceed 100,000 US dollars a year. Even for those in wealthy, developed nations, the burden can lead to far reaching domains: a complication that has been labeled as “financial toxicity”.
Une expérience médicale et sociale des perturbateurs endocriniens
Programme National de recherche sur les Perturbateurs Endocriniens – Colloque de restitution du 12 avril 2010 – Rennes.
- Sur SlideShare. Regardez en full screen. Sources PNRPE.
- Retrouvez DES Daughter Network sur SlideShare.
Emmanuelle Fillion et Didier Torny
Le Distilbène DES, en savoir plus
- Conséquences du DES en 2017 :
- Epigénétique et générations futures :
AutismOne Conference 2017
Presented by Leslie Carol Botha, WHE,
uploaded on SlideShare. Watch it full screen.
Slides from the Autism in the Family Conference, February 2017
Presentation from the Autism in the Family Conference.
- Panic we’re not faking
- Kool-aid—no more partaking
- Policy we’ll be shaking
- “i”nstitutions we creating
- Spectrum needs some breaking
- Smarter science is in the making
Slides from Society for Neuroscience Wonder, February 2017
This presentation to a student-run chapter of SFN explained the history and science behind the “Time Bomb” hypothesis of autism.
DES DiEthylStilbestrol Resources
IEA presentation to the press, London 27 June 2016
- Around 6.5 million premature deaths each year can be attributed to air pollution.
- Energy production and use are by far the largest man-made sources of air pollutants.
- Technologies to tackle air pollution are well known.
- Small increase in energy investment could cut premature deaths from air pollution in half by 2040.
Author: Jeffrey Goldberg, MD Louisville Oncology Associates, Kentucky
Developed in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers of Excellence in Women’s Health (Department of Health and Human Services) for CDC’s DES Update.
Sources – CDC
More DES DiEthylStilbestrol Resources
Estrogen and Androgen Receptor Activities of Hydraulic Fracturing Chemicals and Surface and Ground Water in a Drilling-Dense Region
University of Missouri researchers have discovered that an oil and natural gas drilling technique called hydraulic fracturing uses chemicals that can disrupt the body’s hormones. The researchers found that the endocrine-disrupting chemicals used in the process could interfere with a class of hormones that includes testosterone and estrogen.
- MU Researchers Find Fracking Chemicals Disrupt Hormone Function, MU School of Medicine, News.
- Estrogen and Androgen Receptor Activities of Hydraulic Fracturing Chemicals and Surface and Ground Water in a Drilling-Dense Region, MU School of Medicine, Endocrinology, 2013.
- Watch it full screen or via SlideShare.
- Meet DES Daughter Network on SlideShare.