In the most comprehensive review to date addressing the relative safety of hormone therapy for transgender persons, researchers from Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) have found that hormone therapy in transgender adults is safe.
2015 Study Abstract
Some providers report concern for the safety of transgender hormone therapy (HT).
This is a systematic literature review of HT safety for transgender adults.
Current literature suggests HT is safe when followed carefully for certain risks.
- The greatest health concern for HT in transgender women is venous thromboembolism; increase risk of thrombosis..
- HT among transgender men appears to cause polycythemia.
- Both groups experienced elevated fasting glucose.
- There is no increase in cancer prevalence or mortality due to transgender HT.
Although current data support the safety of transgender HT with physician supervision, larger, long-term studies are needed in transgender medicine.
Sources and more information
- Study finds hormone therapy in transgender adults safe,
BostonUNews, February 24, 2015.
- Hormone therapy in transgender adults is safe with provider supervision; A review of hormone therapy sequelae for transgender individuals, jctejournal, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcte.2015.02.003, S2214-6237(15)00049-6 and full study PDF, 10 February 2015.
4 thoughts on “Hormone therapy in transgender adults with provider supervision”
Thanks for this post Dom
thanks for visiting the blog Gerrit
Reblogged this on Milieunet.