- Epididymal cysts and/or hypoplastic testes have been found in 31.5 per cent of 308 men exposed to diethylstilbestrol in utero, compared to 7.8 per cent of 307 placebo-exposed controls.
- Analyses of the spermatozoa have revealed severe pathological changes (Eliasson score greater than 10) in 134 diethylstilbestrol-exposed men (18 per cent) and 87 placebo-exposed men (8 per cent).
- Further investigation of the 26 diethylstilbestrol-exposed men with testicular hypoplasia has revealed that 65 per cent had a history of cryptorchidism. Only 1 of the 6 placebo-exposed controls with testicular hypoplasia had a history of testicular maldescent.
- Although none of our Diekmann’s lying-in study group has had carcinoma to date one must keep in mind the reported increased risk of testicular carcinoma in testes that are or were cryptorchid. A 25-year-old man who was not part of the study group was treated recently by us for a testicular carcinoma ( mixed anaplastic seminoma plus embryonal cell carcinoma) and he had a history of diethylstilbestrol exposure in utero and cryptorchidism.
Sources: NCBI, J Urol. 1979 Jul;122(1):36-9., PMID: 37351, Association of diethylstilbestrol exposure in utero with cryptorchidism, testicular hypoplasia and semen abnormalities.
- Epigenetic Transgenerational Actions of Endocrine Disruptors and Male Fertility.
- Reproductive Outcomes in Men with prenatal Exposure to DiEthylStilbestrol.
- Effect of Estrogen/Androgen Perturbation on Penile Development in DiEthylStilbestrol-treated Mice.
- Hypospadias in Sons of Women exposed to DiEthylStilbestrol in Utero.
- Prevalence of HypoSpadias in GrandSons of Women exposed to DiEthylStilbestrol.
- Urogenital Abnormalities in Men exposed to DiEthylStilbestrol in Utero.
More DES DiEthylStilbestrol Resources
- DES studies on cancers and screening.
- DES studies on epigenetics and transgenerational effects.
- DES studies on fertility and pregnancy.
- DES studies on gender identity and psychological health.
- DES studies on in-utero exposure to DES and side-effects.
- DES studies on the genital tract.
- Papers on DES lawsuits.
- DES videos and posts tagged DES, the DES-exposed, DES victims.
2 thoughts on “Fetal DES Exposure associated with Cryptorchidism, Testicular Hypoplasia, Semen Abnormalities”
you are welcome